Monday, July 20, 2015

Must Read Monday- Rhyming Books






I'm having a great time reading everyone's book suggestions this summer!  I'm linking up again today with The Kindergarten Connection and Kindergarten Planet to focus on books that rhyme!




 



When rhyming books come to mind, the first thing I think of is Dr. Seuss.  How can you resist the delightful sing-song catchiness of his books?  (I remember my first Read Across America day in the 1st grade classroom where I student taught.  I read Dr. Seuss ALL DAY- in small groups, with individual students, whole group, etc.  When I went home that evening, it was hard to have a normal conversation without speaking in or listening for rhymes!  This was my introduction to a primary teacher's life.)  :)

But I'm not highlighting just any Dr. Seuss book.  This book is in my top ten favorites.  It MIGHT even be in my top three favorites: Horton Hears a Who.  This lovable elephant is on a quest to save very small persons on a speck from the evil Vladikloff the Vulture.  I love watching the suspense on my students' faces when I read this to them.  I make voices for the characters and encourage the children to join in on the repetitive verses.  They pretty much have it down by the end of the story.  :)  It has such a sweet message and theme for little people...a person's a person, no matter how small!

 
 
 
 
 


The Llama Llama books are great little rhyming stories that teach social skills!  They are so age-appropriate and relatable for little ones.  Llama Llama Misses Mama, by Anna Dewdney, is a good book to share during the first week of school, for kindergarteners who are having separation anxiety.





 
 




I think it is pretty rare to find a catchy non-fiction text for kindergartners that rhymes! I was first introduced to I Like Bugs! by Margaret Wise Brown as a Big Book read aloud selection in our reading curriculum last year.  Then I realized there were smaller Step Into Reading versions of the book available (as pictured above).  You know a book is good when your students beg you to reread it and are participating as you are reading it to them!  It has a rhythm that is irresistible!  (And, who doesn't love reading about bugs??) 




 
 



The Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing  is a new favorite of mine!  I ordered it this summer to add to my Back to School collection and I am excited to introduce it to my kindergarteners this year.  I like it because the text is based off of the popular "Twas the Night Before Christmas" poem, so students have some background knowledge about the poem and also can relate to the text that is specific to them!  It will be a great example of how authors can use other's work as inspiration for new stories. 


Check out the other teacher suggestions this week for great books that rhyme at The Kindergarten Connection and Kindergarten Planet !

7 comments:

  1. These all look like very cute books! I love Dr. Seuss books and the kids seem to really like them as well. I will have to add some of these to my collection. Thanks for sharing! Kristi Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristi,

      Thank you so much for stopping by! Yes...Dr. Seuss is the most well-loved bin in my classroom library, especially after I pick out some books and introduce them to the class as a whole. They are also the ones my lowest level readers gravitate towards. :)

      Delete
  2. I love Llama Llama books! So sweet and even my two year old has started to catch on to some of the rhymes! I just bought 'The Night Before Kindergarten' for someone else... I may need to go buy it for myself!

    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brittany,

      Yes! Many of the books in my classroom are ones that have been favorites in my family first! The kindergartener in my house has every Llama Llama book that has been written so far. :) They are so perfect for this age!

      Thanks for taking the time to stop by!

      Delete
  3. I loved all of your books choices!! Horton is definitely one of my very favorite books!! And the llama llama books are so great, I am trying to collect them all! I'm so glad you shared the 'I Like Bugs' book, I am most definitely adding that one to my Wish List!
    Thank you so much for sharing your rhyming books with us, I hope you have a great week!!

    Erin
    Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your choices! The Night Before series is one of my favorites! There are some that I don't own so I need to add to my collection! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I adore the Llama Llama series. I just discovered them this year and actually have quite a few in my collection now! Love your other book choices as well! I am glad to read about your favorite rhyming books!
    Suzanne
    Kindergarten Planet

    ReplyDelete