Saturday, April 9, 2016

Five for Friday- April Showers and Recycling






Linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching today to share five things from our first full week in April!


To spruce up our writing center this week, which was sort of getting under-used, I added an idea I've seen from others- sticker stories!  It has been a big hit.  I went through our sticker box and pulled out some sheets I thought they would like.  Dinosaurs and Sponge Bob have been big favorites so far.  The sheet on top is my example.  I told them they could pick five stickers out of the basket and then write a few sentences about their stickers.




Two students decided to work together on this story- "One day Sponge Bob was walking Jerry..." etc.  and asked for extra time to finish.  They went on to tell a whole story with a beginning, middle, and end!






I've been wanting to get a new color printer for home and saw Simply Kinder's printer recommendation.  When I looked up the printer on Amazon it was only $68.  It arrived two days later and I signed up for the HP instant ink program.  So excited to have a color printing option now! 













In science this week, we talked about natural resources and ways to reuse, reduce and recycle.  We made a list of ways we use "trash" in our classroom. 





We then ended the week by using our paper scraps to make picture collages.  I loved seeing their their creativity! 







It's been a cold, dreary week but we have our own little spring oasis inside at the science center!  The kids love coming in and checking the progress of our plants every day.  (They especially love getting to spray the plants with water!) 







My new favorite afternoon snack- it's like pretzels and Nutella all in one!



4 comments:

  1. The Combos snack looks awfully good. We do a lot of recycling in our classroom. See my blog for some ideas.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Beti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have lots of recycling projects! I love all the bottle cap ideas. Sometimes the best projects don't have to be fancy or cost a lot of money. (I also love all the work that your class does with younger grades!) Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Those Combos look dangerous! The paper scrap collages are cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I found them in Dollar General. Thanks! They worked really hard (and quietly!) on them. :) Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete