Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Unexpected News

My teacher appreciation week did not end on a high note.  Getting the news last week that I might be laid off has turned my days upside down and taken a lot of the "wind out of my sails" so to speak.     

Just as I was finished my masters courses, I received news that my position will probably be included in upcoming cuts to our district budget.  Thus, my computer time this weekend was spent updating my resume and working on job applications.  As much as I would like to hope that I can stay where I am at, I also know that I need to prepare for the possibility that I will not be staying where I am at.  I just hate the uncertainty of not knowing where I will be and how to pack up this school year.

As I was reflecting/mourning the potential loss of my current job, I felt as if all the excitement I had for the end of the year was fading away.  Then I went into work and looked at my 19 little faces that depend on me every day.  I will have other teaching years.  They will not have another kindergarten year.  They will not have another kindergarten teacher, or another kindergarten class. 

So after I stopped moping about, I started looking for ideas on how to make the end of THEIR kindergarten year memorable.  I've started freshening up our centers with new materials, playing more circle games, and getting out new supplies and activities that I was "saving" for "later" (uhhh...we have 5 weeks left so I'm pretty sure "later" is now).  We've got a field trip coming up this week and other events in the works.  I'm looking forward to ending THEIR year with a bang.

Any suggestions???

0 comments:

Post a Comment