Monday, March 9, 2015

Monday Meetings

Several years ago I started Monday "How was your weekend" journal writing prompts with my high school ESL students.  The intent had several purposes- I could get to know a little about them outside of our school day, they could let me know anything that was bugging them or exciting to them, and they could practice their writing in a non-threatening way, because the language was coming from their own experiences.

I sort of became infamous for it.  They knew exactly what to expect on Monday when they walked into my room, and actually began to look forward to it.  I had forgotten about that tradition until it occurred to me that I could do the same thing with my kindergarten kiddies.  They always want to tell me about their weekend adventures on Monday mornings, so this way they can get some talking time and I can monitor their language, formation of complete sentences, and other communication skills.  Enter the "Monday Meeting."  I use a little orange dog that I had gotten for our reading buddy basket.  Every Monday we sit in a rectangle on the tape around our carpet.  The dog functions as our "talking stick."  Before we begin,  I remind them that the only person talking should be the person holding the dog.  This works well...until about the 15th student, then they start getting antsy.  We're still working on speeding up the process.  :)  They always have the option to just say "pass" if they don't feel like sharing.  I make the question VERY specific and focused:  "Tell me the BEST part of your weekend- just ONE part, the best part."  I start by modeling a quick, descriptive sentence from my own weekend ("This weekend I made delicious chocolate chip cookies") and toss the dog to the next person.  They love hearing about each others' weekends, and so do I.  However, I do have two or three 'ramblers.'  You know the kind...

Student:  Well.  I had this football.  It's my favorite football ever.  I got it for my birthday.  And me and my brothers went outside.  I think it was like Friday because we got off the bus.  And we started playing football and I fell down and ripped my pants.  And then my dad came.  And he said let's go bowling.  And we got our shoes and went bowling and while we were driving there we saw a dragon.

Me:  Remember...one thing.

Student:  But it's the same thing. 

Me:  OK just the best part.

Student:  Well the best part was that when we went to the bowling alley we started to order a pizza and I asked my dad if I could get some candy too.

Me:  (while checking the time and reprimanding the three students who are beginning to wiggle and talk) Finish up, your friends are waiting.

Student:  Okay well there was music playing and then I saw my friend and he said...

Me:  Sounds like you had a great weekend!  OK pass the dog!

Like I said, we're still working on being concise.






Meet our Monday Meeting helper: Pumpkin.  One day during center time a student came up out of the blue and said, "I know what to name our Monday meeting dog.  His name is Pumpkin.  Do you want to know why?  Because he is round and orange and green." 

It sounded like a logical idea to me.  So now he is Pumpkin.  Really though, you could pass anything around; the idea is that the visual and tactile object helps remind students who should be talking.

We also have our Monday meeting after any holiday or extended break.  Have you tried something like a Monday meeting?  What guidelines do you establish and how does it work for you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment