Wednesday, March 11, 2015

March Math..."While I'm Waiting" Activities




Just a quick midweek post about some "while I'm waiting" activities that I recently created. These are for those times when you have a small group waiting while you circulate getting everyone settled at their stations. They are nothing earth shattering and literally took all of 45 minutes for me to make. But the kids can easily take them out and work independently while they are waiting for me. 


Half of these have glitter on one side, and half do not. 



Recently I purchased several packs of these foam shamrocks and gold coins, thinking they would make some fun activities. My class is working on composing and decomposing numbers 11 through 19; especially the concept of 10 plus some more.  My below level group is still having a lot of trouble with ten frames...filling boxes in the right order, and realizing that if one frame is full, it simply equals ten and they don't have to count EVERY SINGLE BOX EVERY TIME. 



I laminated work mats from our math program. (So I can't share these, but I'm sure 10 frame templates are easy enough to find!). I have numbers 11 through 19 written on index cards. They each take a work mat and draw a card. They then have to build that number using the gold coins (which, by the way, make everything SO much more special!) 



I wanted them to have a way to self check, so if they flip the card over, I have drawn out circles and they can check their work.


All packed up and ready for the next time!  



My next game I call "the shamrock sort." It is for my high group, which really needs to be challenged. I've written three different ways to represent the numbers 11 through 19 on the shamrocks. The shamrocks get spread out and the group has to work together to sort them. For example, here are the three ways to show 19:  (I may add more 'ways' such as tally marks and more addition and subtraction facts, but this was enough for us to start!)



Again, I wanted a self checking component, so when they think they have found three of the same number, they flip the shamrocks over to check them.  



Tada!

Finally, I needed to use the glitter-sided shamrocks, so I made a little sight word memory matching game for my below level group: 



I used the first 10 sight words for set 1, and made a second set of the next 10 words for my mid level group. The foam does shed glitter quite easily, but the kids don't seem to mind being "sparkled" :).  

They love being able to pull these activities out while they are waiting for me, and I love that they are occupied with a constructive warm up! 

Like I said, nothing earth shattering but simple and fun. I'm sure there are many other ways to use the coins and shamrocks. What else could you do with these?

0 comments:

Post a Comment