Saturday, April 18, 2015

Classroom Library- Part 2

I've been working on setting up a good classroom library, and here are the teeny tiny beginnings.


 


I wrote about the setting-up process and labels I used here.


After set-up, the next step was to teach the students how to use the library properly.  I've learned a lot about the concept "less is more" with my class this year.  I realize this "library" looks sparse.  While I have many more books that I would love to put out, I figured this was enough to get us started, and it was!  The kiddos have not gotten bored with the selection yet, and it has been two months.   I have added books to the bins besides what is in this picture, but I have not switched out the bins yet.  These few bins have given us enough material to appreciate and learn how to use the classroom library for now.

I am also happy to report that the bins are holding up just fine, thank you Dollar Tree!

When the students came in the morning I introduced the library, they were so excited.  I pulled out the Dinosaur and Curious George bins for my "show and tell."  (Both are favorites in our room!)  Lots of laughs were soon heard as I modeled putting the wrong books in the wrong bins.  I also modeled putting the wrong items in the bins...pencils, papers, etc. and emphasized how special and important our new library and books are to us.  The kids have really been great about keeping everything nice and neat and trying their best to put the correct books in the correct bins, with a few exceptions every now and then.  My mostly super organized self had other plans in mind, though.

I knew that I wanted to use the number labeling system to help the kids figure out how to return books, and help me keep everything organized.  But I figured that would take FOREVER and did not want to put off getting books in their hands any longer.  So I coped with the occasional Eric Carle in the magazine box for a little while.  

In hindsight, this was interesting because it provided us with opportunities for discussion about categorizing books and learning that there are different authors and types of books.  But I don't want to keep stopping to do this every time the students are switching out their two selected books (currently once a week, on Mondays).

A classroom high school helper kindly labeled all the books and bins last week that I currently have displayed.  Boy was she fast!  Now, each bin has a number and each book has a corresponding number on the front cover.  As I add books and bins it will be easy to continue the process.

Now, these books do not always stay in these bins.  No, the purpose of having them out is to get them in students' hands, right?  As you all may or may not know, we've been working on implementing the Daily 5.  The students pick two books to use throughout the week for "Read to Self" and "Read to a Partner."  They do NOT take classroom library books home....they do take regular school library books home once a week.  The classroom library books had a temporary home in "book bags-" colored plastic envelopes with a snap top from Dollar Tree.






But we have now upgraded to book boxes!



These are "Flyt" magazine boxes from Ikea. I got them for $1.99 for five and reinforced the bottoms with clear packaging tape. 

I left them pretty plain so I can use them next year. They have a Velcro dot with the students' numbers on the front. 

One month later, they are still holding up just fine!




How do you organize your classroom library? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment