Friday, July 17, 2015

Five for Friday- Summer Shopping!





To celebrate my new job, I made a few purchases over the past week (aka, an excuse to buy cute new teacher stuff!).  So this Five for Friday is all about my summer shopping splurges!









I have been looking at these planners from C. Jayne Teach for a few months now, ever since I saw a review on Kickin' It In Kindergarten.  Well, when I found out I would have a classroom job again I looked these up hoping they had not sold out.  The binders are gone, but the planners were still available.  For $10 off, you can get a planner that is "slightly damaged" with a few scratches on the back.  Well, mine came and you can barely see any scratches!  I'm really happy with the spiral-bound notebook.  My favorite part is the standards in the back!  No more looking them up online, and I have been filling in lesson/center/game activities for each one so I can get my resources and planning better organized by standard this year.

P.S....I especially love the philosophy behind this company.  The trendy stripes and anchor are not just a super cute touch...the anchor is a double reminder that the planner helps me stay "anchored" AND it is based on a Bible verse ("We have this hope as an anchor for our souls, firm and secure." Hebrews 6:19)  Love it!  (No, I wasn't paid for this...I was just really excited about it)  :)






Another teacher splurge I made was this cute kindergarten Tshirt from Teacher Tshirts.  I agonized over which shirt and which color to get...they are all so sweet.  I decided to keep it simple.  I am planning to wear this at special events like back to school night/open house, field trips, field day, and more! 










Went to Walmart yesterday and made it past all the yummy new school supplies with ONLY glue sticks!!!  I'm stuck between wanting to prepare and stock up while the prices are good, or waiting to see what is in the room and what the situation is like.  I can't get in the room until the week before school starts, so I'm trying to control myself here.  :)  I did grab our supply list from one of the displays to take a peek at what the kids will be bringing in.  It asked for 3 glue sticks.  I just have a feeling that is definitely not going to be enough to last the year.  ;)  I found these bigger sized sticks for 25 cents each.  I've scoped out other glue stick prices and this seemed like a good deal, especially for the bigger size for little hands. 

Funny story...I pulled up to the checkout trying to keep all of my 25 individual glue sticks from falling out of the cart.  The woman behind me, with an amused look on her face, asked, "You must be a teacher.  Either that, or you like to eat glue sticks."  I almost said, "Yep, and I don't eat them, but kindergarteners do!"  Seems like I always get comments on my overflowing carts of school stuff.  Most people are shocked that a teacher is using her own money to buy things for her classroom! 










Saw these on a few other blog posts...Kohls currently has four of the Laura Numeroff book characters and books for $5 apiece!  I already have most of the books, but I couldn't resist the animals.  I bought all four.  I don't currently have any stuffed animals and figured they would add a little coziness to my classroom.  :)










Technically not a school purchase, but a Five for Friday post of mine wouldn't be complete without highlighting my current food obsession:  Individual Nutella cups with pretzels for dipping!  I took some of these on my recent road trip and decided I prefer the pretzels to the breadsticks.  The sweet and salty combination is delicious! 

Be sure to check out the other Five for Friday posts here!  What are your classroom MUST purchases, no matter the school?  What else should I definitely be doing to prepare for the year with my remaining month of summer?
 

6 comments:

  1. I love the stuff animals! I really want the mouse. I just love him! However, if I bring him home my husband might have a lot to say. Hopefully he will still be around once I get in my room so he can just go live there and my husband won't have to know.

    ~*~Lena~*~
    4th Grade with Glitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena,

      Oh my goodness that is funny! I did actually pass mine off to my little sister who is "taking care of them" until it's time for them to move to their new home. :) So maybe you can find a host family for the mouse. ;) He is super cute!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love all your buys! I've been eyeing that anchor planner but I've been buying EC planners for 3 years so I'm kinda comfy with them. I have the same debate about school supplies. Its taking everything in me not to stock pile composition notebooks! And I need to head to Kohls for those stuffed animals. I've seen a few posts about them and those are some of my favorite kids books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. McGaha,

      Thanks for your comment! I've heard good things about the EC planner too...I totally know how it is to get comfortable using the same planner. I've bought the exact same little planner for all five years of my past years of teaching, but wanted to try something new this year, so we'll see how it goes.

      I had the composition notebooks in my hand too! 50 cents each...although I feel like I've seen them go as low as 10 or 15 as the year gets closer. Sometimes Walgreens has a good coupon. My school supply list asks the families to buy one and I know I want them to at least have a writing notebook and a math journal. But I'm holding off for now. :)

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. 25 cents for the bigger glue sticks is a very good price. Might have to break down and go to Walmart. Thanks for tip. See you around. Kathleen Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen,

      I thought so, too! And we can never have too many glue sticks, right? :)

      Following your blog...thanks for stopping by!

      Delete