Saturday, February 14, 2015

Classroom Library- Part 1

Here are a few pictures from the beginnings of my classroom library...I was incredibly lucky to inherit many books from the former occupant of the room, but they were not organized or accessible to the children. I had a shelf functioning as the math and puzzles center, but it was not getting used, collecting dust, and was frankly an eyesore in the room. Yuck.

I happen to be taking a Children's Literature course online as I work towards my master's degree.  One of the major projects is to implement a reading and writing center.  Perfect.  I can work on a project for my class that ALSO benefits my classroom in a very needed way. 

So Thursday I announced that the puzzle center was closed, and on Friday I stayed after and transformed it to this:


I agonized for a while over the best labels and bins to use.  I mean, they can make a huge difference, right?  I am happy to say that I am so, so so pleased over how these turned out.  (Pay no attention to the random old puzzle rack thingy in the corner that I haven't found a home for yet, or the dividers that I need to figure out how to remove.  Thanks.) 

I looked around for free labels to print.  I finally decided on this collection and I am very happy with them.  Thank you Keen on Kindergarten for sharing!  They are clear and easy to read, did not require a lot of ink, and covered the major types of books I wanted to have out.   This is by no means the complete collection.  I just put a very small sampling out so that I can teach my kinders to use our library appropriately this week.  (More on that little lesson later!)  

I printed and laminated the labels, but decided to attach them to the bins with Velcro circles.  That way, if I decide to use the bins for something else or rearrange one day, I can easily switch out the labels without losing them.  I think I will do the same with my upcoming math manipulative organization project...we'll see. 

I found the perfect sized bins in Dollar Tree, but I was sad because there were only 5 in purple.  I got them anyway and decided to keep searching Dollar Trees to add to my collection.  I was so excited when I went back this week to pick up some Valentine goodies and saw 25 matching blue bins!  Yes, I got them all.  They seem very sturdy and are a nice size for the shelf and for most books.

This was our old "library."  There was pretty much just room to display some current seasonal and themed favorites and I switched them out every month or so.  I decided to keep this area seasonal.  One of my kiddos broke the bottom shelf, but we decided that was okay because now we have space to put our big books, too.  :)  I will be switching these out as we read new ones. 



So here's our entire space as it is now.  Still lots of work to do, but it's a start!  I can't wait to introduce it to my class! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment