Saturday, February 28, 2015

Five for Friday

http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2015/02/five-for-friday-linky-party-february_27.html


Linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching again for my February 27th February 28th edition of Five for Friday!


 


I began implementing the first area of the Daily 5 this week; Read to Self.  The kids did great with some clarifications and rehearsing.  I had already introduced our classroom library and discussed how to take care of the books and pick them appropriately a few weeks ago, so I built on that to launch the I PICK acronym.  We had fun looking at each other's footwear and comparing how just like our shoes fit our purpose and interest, our books need to fit our purpose and interest too.  By the third day they were catching on and already asking "Are we doing that read to myself thing again today?" The most fun part was the modeling and teaching them how we build stamina and what that is all about. I have to be honest...I was skeptical as to whether a kindergartener would grasp this or not, but I think they do!



Survived two observations yesterday.  One during reading and another during math.  On a Friday.  After a snow day.  Shew. 
But they both went great! 

 
 



GoNoodle has new Indoor Recess mixes up!  I'm telling you, whoever came up with this is a genius, and if you haven't checked this out you need to.  I love not having to go over to my computer every 3ish minutes of recess time and pick a new video.  My kids especially love #9 "Slice N' Walk N' Pop."  It's fun to see how they gravitate towards certain videos.  We tried a couple of the new Brainercise with Mr. Catman too.  The humor was a little over their heads but they loved trying to circle their fingers in opposite directions!




 
4...as in the number of snow days we are up to.  Not too bad compared to some places.  We are finishing our unit on weather and all the wintery whiteness has provided a great real-life connection to our discussions.  On Thursday we had a bit more snow than expected in the morning.  I was sure we would at least have a delay, but no call came in so I headed to work.  I was 10 minutes from school before they called the closing.  So much for that.  At least I was able to fill my car up with gas and swing through the drive thru and get a big cup of coffee before I turned around and (very slowly) drove home.
 
 



 
 

Making "green eggs and ham" for Read Across America day...also known as Dr. Seuss's birthday!  I'm so excited to celebrate on Monday with my kiddies.  I know these are all over Pinterest, but just in case you want to make my version...

1.  You need "snaps" pretzels, white chocolate candy melts, and green M&M's.  I used dark chocolate mint M&M's, and you can get the melts at Michaels. 

2.  Spread out the pretzels on a plate, as many or little as you want.  Put a white chocolate melt on each one and microwave for 1 minute. 

3.  Press an M&M into the top of each melted wafer.  (They will hold their shape)  Put the plate in the freezer for 5 minutes and you're done! 

Oh, one more step.  Eat leftover M&M's.  :)


 
 
If you have any 'tried and true' Dr. Seuss ideas, let me know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment