Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Book Review- Monster Musical Chairs

We have been working very hard on subtraction in our room.  Addition was so easy, but we seem to be 'stuck' on subtraction.  Just when I think most of them get the idea, someone will surprise me with an off-the-wall answer.  (9 minus 3 is 10????  Sigh...)

When I was recently sorting through some books left to me and working on my classroom library, I came across a book called Monster Musical Chairs by Stuart J. Murphy.  It looked like so much fun that I pulled it out this week since we are spending some time away from our regular math book lessons to work on subtracting in different ways.  We are practicing using objects to subtract, so I figured "objects" can be monsters too.  

Anyway, I have never seen all of my kids so hooked on a story this year.  The suspense to see which monster would be left by the end of the story was killing us!  I had them hold up fingers to represent the monsters and put them down as each on left the game.  Just before turning to the last page, I had them do a quick vote to guess which monster would be left.  They even cheered for the monster at the end of the book!  I'm telling you, they were SO into it.  I did however decline the request to play musical chairs afterwards instead of going to math groups.  :)

Monster Musical Chairs 

The illustrations are fun and helpful to explaining the math.  The text is delightful, predictable and rhyming.  I'm all for integrating subjects, so anytime we can combine reading and math, I'm all in.  In addition to this (no pun intended!) after the story we practiced hands-on subtraction using some of The Kindergarten Smorgasbord's ideas.  Smashing subtraction with play dough went over great.  Hopefully all the multimodal review will help them get the hang of it soon!

What other read alouds work well during kindergarten math time?

0 comments:

Post a Comment