Wednesday, February 11, 2015

DIY Dry Erase Boards

I can't take credit for this great idea...I attended a PD where they were shared by Kathy Baumgartner, who is one of the contributing authors to our reading curriculum.  A trip to the Dollar Tree, $8, and less than an hour later, I have 20 "single serve" dry erase boards for my class! 

1. Punch a hole in the top of a plastic plate. Mine came 8 in a pack for $1. I have to confess I was skeptical as to whether these would wipe clean, but they do!

**Update:  Use name-brand markers.  The cheap ones do NOT wipe off so well.  :)  I would also recommend putting two plates together, or purchase heavier ones to make them sturdier on the kiddos' laps.  Our plates often bend, which does not make for pretty writing.  :) All in all, after several weeks of almost daily use, they are still working well!




2. Cut a small hole on the top of a sock. I purchased kids athletic socks, 4 in a pack. 

3. Tie a piece of yarn to the plate and sock.  (This was the most tedious part!)  



The marker goes inside the sock when students are finished. So (hopefully) there's no more lost lids all over the room!






My kids love them and they are now able to use them as response boards as we are working on the carpet with letter sounds, writing words, and practicing our math facts. They like having everything right there and it has made our lessons so much more interactive!

0 comments:

Post a Comment